Dear Visiting Student:

Welcome and thank you for your interest in Case Western Reserve University! We hope that you find the following information helpful as you prepare to study with us this summer.

Please see the descriptions below to see how you would be classified at CWRU. This will help guide you through the application and registration processes.

Non-degree student (not seeking a degree from CWRU)

A non-degree student is one who already has an undergraduate degree and wishes to take enrichment courses, to enroll in undergraduate courses for credit, or to audit courses and not receive degree credit. More information can be found here on our webpage about those students who already have a degree (from CWRU or other).

Visiting/transient student

A visiting or cross-registered student is defined as one who is attending another college or university and who wishes to transfer to that institution any credits which may be earned at Case Western Reserve University. Adults who have completed high school and who are not enrolled in a degree program may also enroll for summer classes as a Visiting Summer Student.

For visiting or transient students, please follow the below steps to register for summer classes at CWRU:

Complete the form linked below:

Visiting Student Summer application

Office of Undergraduate Studies
Sears Building, Room 447
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44106

Once your form is approved, you will receive an email confirmation or letter of acceptance from the Office of Undergraduate Studies.

This email or letter will have instructions that will enable you to register using SIS, the Student Information System.

If you prefer to register in person, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies at 216.368.4310 or send an email at to make an appointment.

General information

Most classes either have no enrollment caps or ones sufficiently high to accommodate summer enrollees. Exceptions would be biology, chemistry and physics laboratory classes where space can be limited.

The list of courses and course descriptions on the summer site is a preliminary one, designed to give students a preview of what will be offered in the summer. The Registrar’s Office will post the official roster, the Searchable Schedule of Classes, on February 4, 2019.

If you have registered for the May Term or any of the summer sessions and decide you want to cancel your enrollment, you must contact Dean Claudia Anderson in the Office of Undergraduate Studies, Sears Bldg., Rm. 447.  A refund of 100% will apply only to students who cancel enrollment on the first day of the classes.  Refund amounts will be reduced beyond that date.

Please visit the Undergraduate Studies Student Information Page for information on how to register and answers to Frequently Asked Questions. You can also read about the registration procedure on the Registrar’s Registration web page. More information can be found on our FAQs page.

I will be happy to help you find the answers you need. Please don’t hesitate to call or write. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Beth Trecasa
Assistant Dean
(216) 368-4413